The purpose of MAM is to develop and foster a network of citizens and institutions in Maine who identify, collect, interpret, and/or provide access to materials relating to history, living collections, and culture.
We seek to fulfill this purpose by educating ourselves and the public through activities such as: Fostering the identification, preservation, and use of records, objects, and living collections of enduring value in Maine, both public and private, corporate and individual; Improving the management, public awareness and understanding of such records, collections,and objects; Sponsoring continuing professional education; Providing a forum for the exchange of information among individuals and institutions; Facilitating communication and cooperation with other organizations (local, regional, and national) and with individuals and groups representing allied disciplines and; Promoting member museums, collecting institutions, and archives to the public.
JOIN NOW! Click here.
Wondering if your institution meets our mission? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions about Membership.
- Our Annual Conference offers opportunities to gather with others with similar interests in Maine history, living collections, and culture to share ideas, network, and review and acquire the skills to manage our state’s cultural resources.
- Local and regional workshops tailor professional development to local needs and circumstances.
- Our newsletter, email updates, Facebook page, event listings, and Web site keep our members informed and up to date in matters of interest to them as well as those in allied fields.
- Our "Find an Archive/Museum" feature on the Web site helps visitors and researchers locate Maine museums, archives, and other collecting institutions.
- Our service provider list provides contact information for businesses with expertise in the needs of collecting institutions.