Founded in 1813, Colby College in Waterville, Maine, is one of the nation's oldest and best independent liberal arts colleges, enrolling approximately 1,825 students. Colby is a national leader in research and project-based undergraduate learning, and the depth of student-faculty interaction and collaboration is unparalleled. Colby embraces and honors a 200-year tradition of fostering intellectual and personal growth, with graduates emerging as conscientious, committed, and inspired leaders ready to make a profound impact on their world. Colby is a national leader in environmental sustainability and education with award-winning campus greening initiatives and a nationally renowned academic program. Colby invites applications for the position of:
MIRKEN FAMILY POSTBACCALAUREATE FELLOWSHIP IN MUSEUM PRACTICE
COLBY COLLEGE MUSEUM OF ART
The Mirken Family Postbaccalaureate Fellowship in Museum Practice at the Colby College Museum of Art will support a one-year appointment to the Museum, with the possibility of a renewable second year. The Fellow reports to the Associate Director and interfaces with all departments including education, collections, exhibitions, and administration areas.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Coordinate logistics associated with the Art Department annual field trip related to professional opportunities in the museum field (conservation, public relations, curatorial, education, administration, collections)
· Provide general assistance to the collection management area, assisting with all aspects of registration for museum objects, condition reporting, incoming and outgoing receipts
· Manage the museum’s rights and reproduction program
· Coordinate and implement centralized photography archive for museum images
· Serve as a liaison between the collections and curatorial staff, oversee the deaccession initiatives as established by the museum team
· Field museum collection inquiries as required
· Work with collections intern on special projects as assigned
· Contribute to social media program
· Perform other duties as assigned
· A Bachelor’s degree in Art/Art History is preferred
· Highly organized, flexible and comfortable with diverse audiences
· Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
· Excellent attention to detail
· Strong ability to effectively collaborate with a small professional staff, students, and faculty
This position reports to the Associate Director of the Museum and has ongoing interactions with all members of the museum staff.
Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Walking, standing, bending, and twisting are required. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary. General office and campus environment with duties that require the employee interact with faculty, staff, students, alumni, and museum guests.
Interested candidates should submit:
· A letter of interest stating relevant work experience
· Curriculum vitae
· Three letters of reference
Send all materials to: HR@Colby.edu and addressed to:
Mirken Family Postbaccalaureate Fellowship in Museum Practice - Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Colby College is committed to equality and diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our college. Colby College does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, or age in employment or in our educational programs.
For more information about the College, please visit the Colby web site: www.colby.edu