Job Opening: Guest Services Associate
Supervisor: Manager of Museum Services
Team Support: Gift Shop Team
Status: Seasonal (May - October), 20-40 hours per week ; Rate: $9 per hour
Hiring preference given to applicants available to work mid-May thru late October
Guest Services Associates are responsible for greeting museum guests, assisting in the museum shops,
interpreting museum exhibits, maintaining the appearance of the museums, and providing excellent
Responsibilities (may include any combination of the following):
- Attend mandatory (paid) staff trainings.
- Greet and count guests and tour groups, collect admission fees, and sell museum memberships.
- Orient visitors to the Museum’s exhibits, and provide history talks and group introductions or conduct
- Act as shop clerk, assisting customers, answering questions, conducting sales, and maintaining good
- Maintain daily records, including sales, deposits, and reports.
- Open and close the Museums; including shops, admission desks, and exhibit areas as required.
- Maintain overall museum and shop appearance, including dusting and cleaning of shop fixtures,
windows, and exhibits. Maintain appearance and cleanliness of public spaces, including lounges and
galleries, kitchen, and hallways.
- Assist with shop operations, including inventory, merchandise displays, and processing of stock.
- Work with volunteers, and support their needs.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Willingness to learn about the native cultures of Maine. Knowledge of or interest in Native Americans,
particularly those of Maine, and their culture and crafts. Resources available upon request.
- Previous retail and/or guest services experience, preferred.
- Familiarity with computers or cash registers, exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, and
the ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays, MayundefinedOctober, and provide flexibility.
- Reliable transportation is required.
- Significant time is spent standing or walking; occasional sitting for long periods.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to operate computer, cash register, and adding machine.
- High energy level and ability to adapt to changing conditions.
The Abbe Museum is an equal opportunity employer. Positions are open until filled.
Interested candidates should mail application to: Astra Haldeman – Abbe Museum – PO Box 286
Additional info at: http://www.abbemuseum.org/downloads/2013guestservicesassociatedescription-1.pdf