*This Rebellion: Maine and the Civil War
Exhibition at the Maine Historical Society
June 28, 2013, through May 30, 2014
The exhibit examines themes at the micro level of individual soldiers and others involved in the war, what items had meaning to them, leading them to save the items and pass them along to successive generations. Battlefield relics, uniforms, documents, letters, paintings, and photographs, and evidence of post-war commemorative activities bring to life people and
stories from the 1860s. The exhibit’s goal is to make visible and accessible the enormity and complexity of the war for the nation, the state, and individuals and families. FMI: (207) 774-1822 / www.mainehistory.org.
*In the Field and On the Homefront: Bethel During the Civil War
Exhibition at the Bethel Historical Society,
Commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, this exhibit uses rarely seen artifacts and images from the Society’s permanent collection to the effectsundefinedprofound and poignantundefinedof the Civil War on the western Maine town of Bethel, once known as “the Athens of Oxford County.” Although the War years resulted in the loss of many of Bethel’s loyal sons, they also witnessed the town’s development as an important inland Maine center of commerce, industry and tourism. The Bethel Historical Society is located at 10 Broad Street, Bethel. FMI: (207) 824-2908 / www.bethelhistorical.org.
Maine’s Earliest Settlers
Ongoing exhibition at the Old Berwick Historical Society
Old Berwick Historical Society exhibits at the Counting House Museum and at South Berwick Town Hall chronicle the story of one of Maine’s earliest settlements, from its first inhabitants through its independence from Kittery 300 years ago, in 1713. The displays highlight stories of Humphrey and Lucy Chadbourne, who operated a sawmill in present-day South Berwick from about 1640 to 1689; and Humphrey and Mary Spencer, who owned a tavern from 1696 to 1727. Their tales are told using an array of historic objects from archaeological projects led by Emerson Baker and Neill DePaoli. Grants from the Maine Humanities Council and Kennebunk Savings during Berwick’s 300th anniversary year also support the society’s year-long series of public lectures, tours and public programs. The Counting House is open June through October and is located at Main and Liberty Streets in South Berwick and admission is by donation. FMI: (207) 384-0000 / email@example.com / www.oldberwick.org.
Maine Archives and Museums / P.O. Box 46 / Cumberland Center, Maine 04021 / (207) 400-6965 / firstname.lastname@example.org