The Department of the Secretary of State, Maine State Archives is seeking candidates for scanning and indexing services for our Archives Services division located at 6 Elkins Lane in Augusta.
The Maine State Archives strives to make the state’s archival records as accessible as possible while ensuring their careful preservation. The mission of the Maine State Archives is to make the operations of state and local government more efficient, more effective, and more economical through records management by preserving and providing access to the public the permanent historical records of Maine in our custody.
The Maine State Archives is seeking to fill one full time, contractual position at 40 hours a week working eight hours per day, five days per week. Hours are set at 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday with a half hour for lunch. Maine State Archives may occasionally adjust the schedule minimally to accommodate either organizational needs or an individual’s schedule on a case-by-case basis or in consideration of holidays, storm days, etc.
This position will scan or digitally image historical records and prepare them for sharing through an online platform (see additional tasks below). Processing and preparation of the digital image as well as indexing for access are part of the project process. Candidates for this position should provide details in their cover letter regarding their interest in history and/or archives with any experience they may have in handling fragile, historical records. The qualified candidate will possess the knowledge and skills list below. This position reports to the Digital Archivist.
- · Prepare historical documents for scanning
- · Scan historical documents
- · Process and index the associated digital file
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to operate automated imaging and visual display equipment including electronic keyboard, display screen, and sorted memory to perform document reproduction and indexing functions and services.
- Ability to understand and follow both written and oral directions and to prioritize work within established operating procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to reference and file state records which requires knowledge of filing systems and the ability to apply that knowledge consistently and accurately.
- Comprehensive PC skills which include at a minimum one year’s experience with the basic operation of a pc or equivalent equipment; one year’s experience with MS Word and MS Excel.
- Ability to accurately enter information into a computer, accessing information from a computer, and verifying information on a screen.
- Ability to understand and appropriately operate or learn to operate basic scanning and imaging equipment, including pan, skew, and image correction techniques.
- Attention to detail.
- Willingness to learn proper handling of original archival documents (experience preferred).
- Possess knowledge of imaging and visual display operating practices, procedures, and techniques is preferred.
- Ability to lift, carry, and move boxes of State Agency records weighing up to 40 pounds between workstations, sorting, scanning, and then re-filing records in a prescribed manner for return to the box they are stored in.
- Ability to bend, sit or stand as work requires a good deal of up and down movement.
This is a contract position, managed through a temporary staffing agency. The rate of pay is $20.00 per hour. There are no benefits associated with this position.
Maine State Government is an Equal Opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
To apply for this position, please send a message expressing your interest and a resume to Tammy Marks, Archives Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org October 16, 2023.