The University of Southern Maine seeks applicants for a Secondary Education Outreach Specialist position at the Osher Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic Education (OML SCCE) located on the Portland campus. Reporting to the Assistant Director for Educational Outreach, this position is grant-funded, renewable for a total of three-years (September 1, 2022, to August 31, 2025).
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual who is passionate about creating, facilitating, and promoting engaging learning experiences with maps and map concepts for both students and educators. The Secondary Education Outreach Specialist will facilitate partnerships with educators in Maine and beyond, focusing on grade 7-12 curriculum development, field trip coordination and support (onsite and offsite), professional development workshops, and other forms of outreach and engagement. This position works collaboratively in a team environment to support the mission and services of the Osher Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic Education. Independent judgment and initiative are frequently exercised. The Secondary Education Outreach Specialist frequently collaborates with other library staff on program development and promotion, onsite and offsite facilitation of educational experiences for students and educators, and the development of educational activities and digital content for our website.
This position has extensive in-person, telephone, and online interactions with students (K-12 and university), K-12 educators, faculty, staff, and the general public. The Secondary Education Outreach Specialist may also supervise USM student employees and interns.
- Bachelor’s degree in History, Secondary Education, Geography, Museum Studies, etc., or a related field.
- Minimum 1-3 years teaching experience in a school, library, special collection, or museum setting.
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience working directly with students and educators (preferably grades 7-12).
- Documented experience developing lesson plans and curriculum at the secondary level
- Consistent in-state travel for K-12 school visits requires access to immediate, reliable transportation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
For more information and to apply please visit: https://usm.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=76538&job=secondary-education-outreach-specialist
All required materials must be submitted by August 19, 2022.