The General Henry Knox Museum seeks qualified candidates for the position of executive director. The successful candidate will be an energetic leader and seasoned museum professional who welcomes a challenge, loves history (especially early American history), and is excited about working with a dedicated group of constituents to preserve and share the unique mission of the museum with others.
ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW The General Henry Knox Museum is a nonprofit organization dedicated to engaging residents, students, and visitors of all ages in the exploration of early American history. Montpelier, built in 1929, houses permanent and seasonal collections and exhibitions centered on the life and times of General Henry Knox. Governed by a 17-member volunteer board, and guided by a strategic plan, the museum has a budget of approximately $250,000.
POSITION SUMMARY The person in this position will recruit, develop, supervise and evaluate staff; work closely with the board of trustees and its committees; effectively direct the energy and enthusiasm of members and volunteers; and engage the diverse constituencies served by the museum’s programs. Major responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Implement a development program to identify, cultivate, and solicit gifts
- Work with the board of trustees to develop and implement the museum’s strategic and long-range plans
- Manage the museum’s public relations; represent the museum to professional associations and community organizations
- Supervise and evaluate all employees, delegate tasks and responsibilities, and act as the liaison between staff and the board of trustees
- Work with the board of trustees to develop and execute the annual operating budget
- Develop, market, and implement all museum activities, special events and programs
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS The successful candidate will possess the following credentials:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (master’s degree preferred)
- Educational background in and/or experience with historic preservation, history museums, historical societies, libraries, or archives
- Proven management and administrative experience
- Prior experience in hands-on fundraising, stewardship, donor relations, and volunteer management
- Proven background in attracting and motivating volunteers The highest level of recommendations from references and peers
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Energetic and positive personality with a can-do attitude
- Enthusiasm for history
- Outstanding communications skills to engage in the community, volunteers, and develop essential relationships
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with board, staff, volunteers and the community to achieve shared goals
- Creativity and imagination to work with volunteers to develop events, fundraising, programming and communications
- Experience in using technology, especially digital media, to advance the museum’s mission
- Experience in database management
- Expertise with budgeting and knowledgeable in details of financial management
HOW TO APPLY Please submit a cover letter and resume to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter and resume should contain detailed information concerning your work experience, past successes, leadership experience, qualifications, and fundraising capabilities. Please be prepared to provide contact information for professional references upon request.
You may send paper copies to: Executive Director Search, General Henry Knox Museum, P.O. Box 326, Thomaston, ME 04861, but electronic submission of materials is preferred. No phone inquiries, please. Review of applications will begin on July 1.
The General Henry Knox Museum is a nonprofit organization and an equal opportunity "at-will" employer committed to providing equal employment opportunities based upon an individual's ability and qualifications. We do not discriminate against people on the basis of race, citizenship, ancestry, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, mental or physical disability.
Additional Job Information
Job Type: Part Time – 30 hour week
Start Date: September 1, 2020
Region: Thomaston, Maine
Specific Location: The General Henry Knox Museum Application
For more information about the museum, please visit www.knoxmuseum.org.