Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to celebrating Maine’s vibrant maritime culture. Because this culture includes different backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape the future, we invite you to join our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the Kennebec River, on a twenty-acre campus where collaboration and creativity are encouraged.
Reporting to the senior leadership team and working closely with the Executive Director, the Senior Accountant is the primary accounting staff member at MMM. The Senior Accountant works closely with the Director of Development, the Director of Programs & Operations, the Office & Human Resources Assistant, and contracted staff to accomplish all accounting activities, including the following:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
● Completes general accounting functions including preparing journal entries, recording revenue and processing accounts payable and completing the month-end closing.
● Manages cash, including recording of receipts from donors and members, admissions, tours, and the store. Maintains a current cashflow projection.
● Reviews payroll prior to processing (ADP) and ensures it is properly recorded.
● Completes reconciliations of accounts, including restricted funds and the investment account.
● Maintains the unitization calculation, and accounts for endowment earnings and distributions.
● Partnering with senior management, develops annual operating and capital budgets—for both restricted and unrestricted projects. Prepares multi-year projection and other analysis.
● Provides financial reports to senior leadership and the Board.
● Completes schedules required for audit. Coordinates the preparation of supporting documentation.
● Maintains the currency of accounting policies, processes, and Internal Controls.
● Maintains accounting application (Sage), including reconciliation to fund-raising software (Altru) and to the museum store point-of-sale system (Shopify).
● Performs other related duties as required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Degree in accounting. Four years of experience showing growth in responsibility. Non-profit experience required. CPA and/or public accounting experience is a plus.
● Proven nonprofit accounting knowledge and experience.
● Knowledge of Uniform Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act (UPMIFA).
● Thrives in a team-oriented, collaborative culture built on respect.
● Knowledge of and experience working with accounting systems—ideally Sage. Familiarity with Financial Edge (legacy) a plus.
● Able to effectively function as a financial resource to senior staff.
● Able to organize time effectively and remain flexible during seasonally changing demands.
● Excellent written and oral presentation skills. Able to compose correspondence and reporting that is creative, convincing, and concise.
The Senior Accountant position is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with full benefits in Bath, Maine. Starting salary is $50,000–$65,000 per annum, commensurate with experience.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.