News release below from the Penobscot Marine Museum
“Main Street Bucksport”, Penobscot Marine Museum Photo Archive
ALAMO THEATER PRESENTS TALK ON HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS AND FILM OF BUCKSPORT
(Searsport, Maine) Historic photographs and vintage film footage of Bucksport from the late 19th and early 20th centuries will be presented by Penobscot Marine Museum’s Kevin Johnson and Brook Minner of Northeast Historic Film Archive on Thursday, May 12, 6:00 pm at Alamo Theater, 85 Main Street, Bucksport.
The photographs presented in the talk by Kevin Johnson will be of people and places which were important to the residents of Bucksportbetween 1909 and 1947. They were taken by a Belfast, Maine postcard company, Eastern Illustrating & Publishing Company, which sent their photographers driving across Maine in Model T’s with their box cameras to ask what the local citizens loved about their area. The photographs presented in the talk are part of Hancock County Through Eastern's Eye, one of several traveling exhibits from the Penobscot Marine Museum photography archive. It is on display through the end of May at Bucksport Heart and Soul in the Rosen Building, 72 Main Street, Bucksport. Brook Minner, Executive Director of Northeast Historic Film Archive, will show historic film footage of Bucksport from their collection.
For more information on the talk call Kevin Johnson at 207-548-2529 ext. 210. For more information on the exhibit call Rich Rotella at 207-949-1889.
About Penobscot Marine Museum
Penobscot Marine Museum brings Maine history to life in twelve beautiful historic buildings in the charming seacoast village of Searsport, Maine. Exhibits include hands-on activities for children and adults, as well as a ship captain's house, marine paintings, photography, scrimshaw, 19th century Chinese and Japanese pottery, paintings and textiles, historic Maine boats, a fisheries exhibit, and an heirloom vegetable garden. The museum has a maritime history research library and 80,000 historic photographs online. Check the website for daily activities and events. The museum is open seven days a week, Memorial Day weekend through the third weekend in October. For more information go to www.penobscotmarinemuseum.org or call the Visitors Center 207-548-0334 or Administrative Offices at 207-548-2529.